Hello are you hiring?

Friday, March 11, 2011

Doggy Mama

I became a doggy mama in February.  During a visit to the Anna Shelter, she caught my eye.  She looked so sad and timid and I thought maybe I could make a difference in her life. She is a German Shepard/lab mix.  She is a beautiful tan color.

During the first few weeks she would either try to hide and just shut down and curl up in the corner.  It was heartbreaking.  In addition she didn't eat the first few days and trying to get her to drink something was virtually impossible.  I was at my wits end.

Over the last 2 weeks she has begun to open up.  She has done this by eating my carpet, my lazy boy chair, the wooden trim around my backdoor, my cupboards...well you get the idea.  I began to wonder if someone broke in in the middle of the night and switched out dogs!

I thought that maybe I wasn't spending enough quality time with her, so I have been doing my best to play with her and keep her occupied. The problem now is, she won't leave the back room so I have to go to her.  But I had to remove all of the furniture because she was eating it up.  So I sit on the floor.  When I decide to retreat to the front living room to give my back a rest, she will only go as far as the kitchen.  I try to get her to come into the living room to join me, but she won't budge.

However yesterday this all changed.  I spent the morning vacuuming the floor and the couch pillows, dusting, and shining up the hard wood floors. I did all of this while Honey was in the backyard doing her business.  As soon as I was all finished, I let her in.  She was all wet and covered in mud and did a bee line straight to the front room and introduced herself to a pillow that was in the couch, which she managed to take a bite out of before I caught her!!

How I love being a doggy mama!!

No comments:

Post a Comment