Hello are you hiring?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Another Element of Unemployment....no Healthcare

One of the biggest struggles of losing my job is my health care coverage.  Ironically I was never one to go to the doctor, unless I was on my death bed.  I paid into my heath care plans for years and years and never used them. This past year however, I finally decided to address some issues that I have been hiding under the carpet all of these years.

I am not sure if it's old age, stress, or the fact that I haven't had a good nights sleep in about 7 years-but I have been having some severe memory issues.  I regularly pay my bills 2 or 3 times in one month- yes I mean double and triple paying because I forgot that I already paid them.  I have conversations with people and forget what we spoke of.  And would complete sales reports at work, turn them in, then do them all over again- forgetting that they were already submitted.

Now that I have begun to seek treatment for my problem, I have to stop testing mid-way because now I don't have medical insurance.  Considering the fact that I have sat on this problem for so long, I suck it up and go on Cobra at $309.71 per month!  However after submitting 2 months worth of these over-priced payments, I receive medical bills totaling $6000!!!

I call the insurance company directly, however they have my account listed as closed, I call the Cobra administrator, however she claims I need to call my previous employer, I call my previous employer who claims it is out of their hands.  But someone knew how to cash my checks.

Being unemployed is hard enough. Paying over-priced medical coverage is even worse.  However being unemployed AND paying over-priced medical coverage and still not having coverage...well that has put me over the edge today.

No comments:

Post a Comment