Hello are you hiring?

Monday, March 21, 2011

Dae-What....Daewoo!

I own a 2001 Daewoo Lanos that I purchased brand new 10 years ago.  I had never bought a brand new car before and was excited over the 10 year 100,000 warranty that was offered.  Now if you have never heard of a Daewoo before, you aren't alone.  Unfortunately just after I purchased the car, the company went out of business.  I am guessing there may be about a dozen of these cars left in this area. Heck maybe I should just park it for the next 15 years, then it will be so rare a collector might offer me a nice chunk of change for my hunk of junk.

Now having a car that is 10 years old is risky, but having one that is so uncommon makes repairs pretty pricey if anything breaks down.  Every year I hold my breath when it is inspected because I know it will be expensive. Last year I spent $800 on it, then wondered if I should have just traded it in. This year I feared the same fate. Being unemployed, a $800 car repair dictates if I eat this month!

 Luckily this year some higher power decided to cut me a break.  After stressing all day, the inspection center called and let me know that the only thing the car needed was a $5 light bulb!!  I got an inspection, emissions test,  and an oil change for a final cost in the double digits...not the triple digits.

Not having a job makes simple things like a car inspection seem like life or death.  A bad car equals lots of money for repairs, but even worse it could leave me without transportation to go for interviews or even start a new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment