Hello are you hiring?

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I See Dead People

As I mentioned in my last post, I had just stared a new job that wasn't really a good fit for me.

After week one of the new job I was feeling as though I made a huge mistake.  This was only confirmed when I saw a patient die right in front of me.  Up until this point my biggest fear in the world wasn't spiders or snakes, it wasn't even heights, it was seeing a dead person.  My biggest fear had come true and I was traumatized.  After the incident , I was kindly consoled by my co-workers.  I was told "you work in a nursing facility...what did you expect?"...as they walked away taking pleasure in my terror.  This only confirmed that I indeed had made a bad decision.

Because this incident happened on a Friday,I had the entire weekend to think about this patients (and mine) misfortune.  However I am not a quitter and deep down I felt as though I needed to face my fear,so on Monday I went back to complete week two of my new job.

Week three was not going much better. Instead of being out of the building doing sales calls, I was in the building reading charts and determining if patients had "bugs".   I was doing admission applications that were as many pages as my mortgage loan, all while I had no clue what I was doing. I had reached my max stress limit and was very displeased with my co-workers.  I was the black sheep of the facility, and everyone knew it. 


As luck would have it, just when I had reached this boiling point I get a text message from my previous employer asking if I was ready to come back yet.  I sent a text back saying "as a matter a fact I am".  From there I was immediately in touch with my former boss and within an hour I was rehired and ready to go.

Although going back to my old job was not the ideal scenario and my job security there was unknown.....it was a job and one that I was familiar with.  And the biggest bonus of all.....I DON'T see dead people.

No comments:

Post a Comment